Bantam Barred Rock Slow Feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksrchicks, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ksrchicks

ksrchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Hello, I am raising my first 4 chicks. I have one bantam barred rock, a NH red, barred rock, and white rock. I only have one bantam so no point of comparison but she is much slower to get her feathers. Is this normal?? She is otherwise quite fiesty, friendly and seems to be getting along well with the others. They are 2 weeks old today and she is just starting to get wing feathers, while the larger chicks have tail feathers and are starting to get them in the neck and other places. Also they are able to fly to top of feeders, etc. and she cannot yet. Just wanted to make sure this is normal and that there isn't something else I should be doing for the bantam? Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are you positive she's a bantam?

[​IMG]

3. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hey there, ksrchicks! [​IMG]

I have six, two week old bantam Barred Rocks. They are just beginning to get their wing feathers. Here's a photo from four days ago when they were ten days old:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. ksrchicks

Jun 14, 2011
    Hello Out of the Brooder! Thank you so much for your reply and beautiful photograph. Your chicks look EXACTLY like my Polly Jean (a.k.a. PJ) in terms of feather development and in general. I feel so much better after seeing your photo as in comparison to the "non-bantam" chicks I was worried about her growth but now I am definitely not. It is adorable to see them under Mom's (maybe??) wing and outdoors on the green grass. Maybe someday our girls will have chicks of their own.

Thanks again!

P.S. I have been trying to photograph our chicks with little success so have started taking videos instead [​IMG].

5. ksrchicks

Jun 14, 2011
    And to the first reply... I am very far from an expert but I am pretty confident PJ is a bantam. On day 1 of arrival (day 2 of age) she was significantly smaller than the rest of the girls.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I only ask because I had a slow grower too, in my brahma flock. Lil'Bit wasn't a bantam, only partially blind and the runt. On the other hand, Maggie grew, feathered and developed right along the same lines as the other brahmas. She was nearly a year old before I realized she was a bantam brahma.

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    If they're anything like the standard Barred Rocks, it'll take them forever to get their feathers in. Mine took their sweet time, too. They're just now losing their butt fluff at 5 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by