1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Bin Breed Help, Please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Harrisheart, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Harrisheart

Harrisheart Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Hello, all! I was hoping that some of you kind folks might help me to identify the breeds of my bantams. I apologize in advance if the pictures are not very helpful - I took them before I knew what angles were more helpful and they're all I have left now after I lost my little babies to dogs :/.
    There are actually only two I am really looking to identify - in the interest of possibly getting some of same or similar breed in the future ^^;. I didn't want to even try getting chickens again but after recently raising a trio of little mutt hens for my grandfather I find that I miss having feathered critters around.

This is them all together when we brought them home, if that's at all helpful. I imagine it's not but just in case X3.
    [​IMG]

And them together again, older now. This was the day I spent some time trying to get decent pictures and mostly failing while they spent most of the time wondering what on earth I was doing and eating at the grass. And peeping. I had to reassure them every time a cat or my grandmother walked by X3.
    [​IMG]

This is the first one and the one I'm dying to know the breed of. I actually ended up calling her 'Pillow' because she was so docile and lovey and grew to be overly puffy and so, so soft, just like a cute little pillow X3.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my little boy. He never really had a name aside from 'little one' and later 'little boy' but was so full of character he quickly made himself dear to me and indeed - even when he started to show signs that made my grandmother and father tell me he was going to be a rooster I'd decided he couldn't go. Rooster or no we were going to make arrangements to keep him.
    [​IMG] The best I could figure before with my (VERY) inexpert opinion - just looking at picture for what matched X3 - was that he was an OEGB. But I'm probably wrong XD.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    pillow looks like a light brahma [​IMG] sorry about your babies

3. Harrisheart

May 3, 2011
    Thank you ^^. I do miss them still!
    Light Brahma, huh? I thought light brahma's were brown birds for some reason - but I see ow from the images I've been pulling up that are actually white? Thank you!

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The first is a light Brahma. The second could be any number of breeds but I would lay bets on Old English Game or Dutch as those are more common bantam breeds than Welsummer, Phoenix, Leghorn, or Plymouth Rock. In your second group picture, I see at least 3 light Brahmas and a buff Brahma.

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Brown is Dark Brahama [​IMG]

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    theres light- white with little black buff- tan with little black and dark- even black and white

7. Harrisheart

May 3, 2011
    Thank you guys so much for your help!
    I'm looking forward to the possibilities of getting chickens again in spring, and now that I know what breed I want more Brahmas if I can get them. They seem well suited to me and my situation as well as my grandfather - as he's looking to get a small flock as well.
    Only this time around, I plan to have an ultra predator proof coop and run beforehand. I couldn't bear losing more babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by