Bantam Black Australorp hen X New Hampshire Red roo, outcome?

cowgirlup07

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Comanche, Oklahoma
I've read over and over how the black australorp X New Hampshire is not sex-linked but my babies are hatching 2 different color patterns so I'm confused. The first and last so far to hatch are both black with white chests and white on their wings, the "middle child" our Christmas chick is completely black with no white. My question is, can anyone tell if they are boys or girls at this point?

Chick A "Fluffy" (Chick C "Fiesty" is identical to Fluffy)

Chick B "Peepers"

Parents:

If you are not using a non-barred rooster (generally red based) and a barred hen, for "black sex-links," the red sex linking occurs when the male is red based and the female silver based as the silver is sex linked and will follow the males while the red will be allowed to show on the females.

Black will dominate the red and the chicks will form different patterns of black, but not genetically linked to gender.

My understanding.

LofMc

Last edited:
Nope. It's just that a few hatched out more black then the others. It doesn't mean the difference is male or female.
My black sexlink females had quite a bit of variation when it came to white. Same parents, both female, very different in appearance.

Nope. It's just that a few hatched out more black then the others. It doesn't mean the difference is male or female.
My black sexlink females had quite a bit of variation when it came to white. Same parents, both female, very different in appearance.

X2 on junebuggena's post.

No sex linkage here, sorry. Your birds will be mostly black with red leakage. Hens from this cross will mature to look quite similar to a black sex link hen, while roosters will be colored similar to a black copper bird--black with lots of red leakage.

Something I have observed from breeding mutts is that the solid black chicks will have more leakage while the black with white part chicks will have less leakage or they will turn solid black
Of course this is not a rule just an observation .

Back
Top Bottom