Bantam breed and gender help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlebanties, Mar 1, 2017.

1. littlebanties

littlebanties New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    I'm new to bantams...well, new to chickens all around. I have three 8 week old bantams and would love to hear what y'all think they are! Clearly the gray one (my daughter dubbed him Grayce) is male, as he began crowing around week 6. Admittedly these pictures aren't great...little buggers are quick! Thanks in advance for any insight :)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm not an expert in bantams...but I can say with certainty that you have 2 males (the greys) and one female (the buff).

As to breed, my guess would be Old English Game on the grey (blue) males and probably Belgian booted D'Uccle (non-bearded variety) on the buff pullet.

LofMc

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both grey ones are cockerels, probably Old English Game bantams. The buff one is a D'Uccle pullet.

1 person likes this.
  4. littlebanties

littlebanties New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Thanks for the insight! I'm a little sad [​IMG] I think I was in denial that the dark gray/black one could be male because the blue/gray cockrel developed much faster. Is that normal, like a dominance or behavioral thing, when there's more than one cockrel in the bunch?

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Just differences in genetics. Even in siblings, if these were such, developmental differences occur. How much more so with birds who may come from different parents or hatched in different batches.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 Bantam Lover

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by