HeidiEmbrey

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Florida
Hey ya'll. Sorry, new, still clueless and learning..I'm trying to figure out what I want from my future flock of chickens and I think what I really want is eggs I can't buy at the store, tiny, blue, green, speckled, just unusual eggs. I'm allowed 4 hens..I think I would like one to lay tiny pink blue green or speckled eggs. I know there are easter egger bantams, and they are on my possibility list..can anyone tell me anything about their experience with them? Does anyone have a bantam or chicken that lays tiny unusual eggs? If so what do you think of the breed? Thanks! :)

I have a standard ee that lays light olive eggs that are blue inside. She is one of the friendlist birds in my flock. She lays 4 or 5 eggs a week and always comes to visit when we are outside. She's my favorite and very sweet.
I have a Welsummer that lays terra cotta eggs with a few speckles, she averages about 4 eggs a week. She's not the friendlist bird, kinda mean to my ee these days. I knew Welsummers don't have the friendly reputation of other breeds, but I wanted variation in my egg basket too!
Let us know what you decide to get.

I have a Blue Araucana Cockerel that has fertilised my Gold Laced Wyandotte bantams eggs. I have set them in the incubator to hopefully get some smaller coloured eggs.
I have a Lavender Araucana and a splash Araucana so get blue eggs from these, 2 leghorns give me white eggs and then a variety of brown eggs from my other 7 hens of different breeds, I am hoping to take my Cockerel to my Maran to get an Olive Layer.

I have a Blue Araucana Cockerel that has fertilised my Gold Laced Wyandotte bantams eggs. I have set them in the incubator to hopefully get some smaller coloured eggs.
I have a Lavender Araucana and a splash Araucana so get blue eggs from these, 2 leghorns give me white eggs and then a variety of brown eggs from my other 7 hens of different breeds, I am hoping to take my Cockerel to my Maran to get an Olive Layer.
oh I hope you do get the smaller colored eggs good luck :) The Lavender Araucanas are so pretty..are they hearty, friendly?

oh I hope you do get the smaller colored eggs good luck :) The Lavender Araucanas are so pretty..are they hearty, friendly?
My splash Araucana is very friendly, she has a great personality too and if I'm honest she is my favorite lol. The Lavender is a scared little lady, now o don't know if that's because of her previous keeper, I got her when she was 14 months old. She is the bottom of the pecking order as she was the last one in and she still runs away a lot from the other girls. I handle her daily to try and get her used to me and to show her that she gets love and has nothing to fear. Its been a steady 3 months of doing this with her now and progress albeit slow has been made.

If you want tiny pink eggs, silkies lay those. Very pretty birds and very pretty eggs. Not only are they very unusual looking, they're extremely friendly and make amazing pets.

I agree with @SilkiesInSuburb! Silkies can definitely lay small pink eggs. They are not bright pink, but they can have a pink tint to them. You will get nay-sayers who tell you "the eggs actually aren't pink, they are brown. They just appear to be pink". To me, if it looks pink, it's pink. Not every silkie lays pink eggs, some more cream or tinted white colors. Nonetheless, they are cute eggs. Silkies are cute. Get silkies. :lol:

I don't have bantam EE, but I have two standard EE girls and they are the sweetest. One lays blue and the other green. Note, one chicken will lay the same color for their whole life. The shade may vary a bit, but a chicken will not lay a blue egg, and then a green egg.

Also note that if you get EEs and want colored eggs, make sure they have a pea comb. If they have a pea comb there is something like a 97% chance they will lay a blue or green egg. If they have a different comb there is only a 3% chance they will lay a colored egg.

Anyway. Yep get silkies! And Easter Eggers too! :)

Bantam Araucanas lay blue eggs... like my Silver hen here...

silver-bantam-female.jpg

Wonderful breed, friendly, intelligent and very entertaining...

Hey ya'll. Sorry, new, still clueless and learning..I'm trying to figure out what I want from my future flock of chickens and I think what I really want is eggs I can't buy at the store, tiny, blue, green, speckled, just unusual eggs. I'm allowed 4 hens..I think I would like one to lay tiny pink blue green or speckled eggs. I know there are easter egger bantams, and they are on my possibility list..can anyone tell me anything about their experience with them? Does anyone have a bantam or chicken that lays tiny unusual eggs? If so what do you think of the breed? Thanks! :)
Bantam Easter Eggers are awesome! They can be a little bit wacky, although I think that may just be an Easter Egger thing overall. They seem to come in more varieties of colors than standard sized EEs. I ordered mine from My Pet Chicken and they have extremely fluffy beards and muffs compared to my other bantam EEs from a different hatchery. I know people have received solid black, solid blue, golden/blond kinda colored, and white with grey patches similar to a snowy owl bantam EEs from My Pet Chicken.

Back
Top Bottom