bantam chick favoring one leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by megpie021, Feb 28, 2017.

1. megpie021

megpie021 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2017
    Mchenry, Illinois
    I was really hoping I could go longer with out posting in here. We have four chicks who are about 5 days old, and today picked up two little bantams chicks. The bigger chicks were really interested in the little ones, and immediately started cuddling them for a nap. However now one of the bantams is favoring one leg and kind of hopping around. The "bad" leg is sticking out to the side some too. It has been eating, and I put it in isolation. Its got its own little box in the bigger cage with the other chicks now, with its own water and food dishes. Do I just give it time? The other one is now running around with the "big girls" and seems to be loving it. Should I let that one do its thing if it is holding its own? I really appreciate the input. I am one worried first time mama here.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Listen, chicks are like Kids----if you let big kids play with little kids-----little kids are going to get hurt----little chicks can get hurt too. I never mix unless they are real close in size and age. Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she holding the leg up? The banty probably got a leg injury, but having a leg stuck out slightly to the side sometimes can indicate a slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity. I would leave her with the others as long as she is getting to food and water, and not being trampled or hurt. If you leave her separated, you might want to give her some supervised play time to keep in touch with the others. Here is some info and reading:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
    http://chickenheavenonearth.weebly....u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/756556/slipped-tendon-splayed-leg-confused

4. megpie021

Feb 25, 2017
    Mchenry, Illinois
    She goes from holding the leg up some of the time to just letting it stick out when resting. She has been hopping around some, and has been eating and drinking still. I did separate her and the other banty from the 5 day olds, they are still in the same cage, but in a smaller box. No one seems happy with this arrangement. My wyandotte chick actually somehow flew in and cuddled them... And the bantys peeped like crazy when I took her out. I will look at those links. Thank you for the advice!

5. megpie021

Feb 25, 2017
    Mchenry, Illinois
    After looking at those links, I think you were right on. Going to have the hubby help me try to stretch her leg out when he gets home in a half an hour. THANK YOU!

6. megpie021

Feb 25, 2017
    Mchenry, Illinois
    I tried, and was unsuccessful. I am going to give the little one a break and try again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by