Bantam chick injured by other chicks

Roger98

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
I just got 5 new bantam chicks, they are i think around 8 weeks old. The littlest one, i found yesterday looked like the others tried to peck at his comb. It was bloody so i seperated him. Yesterday it was fine, i couldn't wipe anything off to see firther because he's not socialized well, he screams for his mother and thrashes around like your killing him. Now today it looks kind of purple around the comb. I'm not sure if its from some of the dried blood or if its bruised around the area. I can try to get a picture but he gets very upset when i try to hold him

Last edited:
I would put hydrogen peroxide on the wound, and then neosporin. After, I would try to reintroduce him to his little flock, as chickens are flock animals and need one another. Be careful, though, and remove him if they start picking at him again, but still keep them in sight of the other chicks so that he isn't lonely.
A picture would be really helpful, even if you aren't holding him, but I understand if you can't.

I would put hydrogen peroxide on the wound, and then neosporin. After, I would try to reintroduce him to his little flock, as chickens are flock animals and need one another. Be careful, though, and remove him if they start picking at him again, but still keep them in sight of the other chicks so that he isn't lonely.
A picture would be really helpful, even if you aren't holding him, but I understand if you can't.

20180703_095445-1.jpg
20180703_095508-1.jpg

How big is your brooder?
Are all the chicks in your brooder bantams or do you have large fowl chicks with them?

The comb looks a bit bruised, could be a little dried blood, it should heal up fine. If you feel a need to put something on the comb, use a dab of Blu Kote.

To me it looks like your chick has a few sores on the side of the beak - does this chick have that on both sides?

upload_2018-7-3_10-54-41.png

How big is your brooder?
Are all the chicks in your brooder bantams or do you have large fowl chicks with them?

The comb looks a bit bruised, could be a little dried blood, it should heal up fine. If you feel a need to put something on the comb, use a dab of Blu Kote.

To me it looks like your chick has a few sores on the side of the beak - does this chick have that on both sides?

View attachment 1454140

All bantams the same size, the brooder is a medium square wire rabbit cage they have plenty of room to space out. The sore it only on one side. His whole one side of his face looks like its bruised. I really don't know why they went after him hes smaller but not by much

All bantams the same size, the brooder is a medium square wire rabbit cage they have plenty of room to space out. The sore it only on one side. His whole one side of his face looks like its bruised. I really don't know why they went after him hes smaller but not by much
If they are 8 weeks old, can't they just be in their regular coop and run? A rabbit cage is kind of small, I would think? I guess bantams are smaller, but my 8 regular size chickens are not that happy with their 10 feet per chicken, so I let them free range in my yard for a few hours a day. Mine are all what is considered docile breeds, but when they are trying to put others in place, the lowest in the pecking order need to have a place to get out of the way.

If they are 8 weeks old, can't they just be in their regular coop and run? A rabbit cage is kind of small, I would think? I guess bantams are smaller, but my 8 regular size chickens are not that happy with their 10 feet per chicken, so I let them free range in my yard for a few hours a day. Mine are all what is considered docile breeds, but when they are trying to put others in place, the lowest in the pecking order need to have a place to get out of the way.
They actually have more room than that if I include my coop so I feel chickens like to have room:)

They actually have more room than that if I include my coop so I feel chickens like to have room:)

I might be wrong on 8 weeks, my aunt never said how old they are and im not good at figuring it out myself. They're still very small, they don't act like they need more space. Plus i can't put them out in the run because the other chickens will probably kill them. I have a growing coop ready when they start to outgrow the cage

Back
Top Bottom