1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantam chick size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jossanne, Oct 22, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've never seen a new bantam chick before, and am getting day-old bantam cochins tomorrow or Friday, from Ideal. I'm imagining them about half the size of standard chicks. How big are they really? About how many inches tall?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    When I hatch silkies I would guess they are about 3 inches tall, maybe a little more...... TINY TINY !!!!!! It's kind of funny to see somthing that small walk and be alive !!!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah, I would also say they're about 3 inches, probably less. They are about half the size of standards, and twice the size of my cortunix quail chicks.

4. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    They are about the size of a quarter when they hatch to give you a rough estimate. They are so adorable !!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    They are about half the size of a standard in my experience. I have a 4 week old bantam in the brooder now with one week old standards and the standards are bigger than the bantam already!
    ~Rebecca

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks all! I can hardly wait, they're gonna be so teeny and cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by