1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam chick - sparce feathers & smaller...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VandyClark, Mar 14, 2012.

1. VandyClark

VandyClark Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Woodville, TX
    Hello! How awesome is this site?? It's been so wonderful for my family as we enter into this new venture. I am so hoping you all can advise- I purchased several "bantys" from our local feed store. I picked this one as she(?) was much smaller than the rest and her feathers are sparse and not very... feathered? She looks a little rough and I felt bad for her! She's not lethargic and quite feisty when I handle her (checking for bugs, wounds..) and her poo looks normal to me- but she was being picked on in the large brood she was in. I'm hoping she is just a late bloomer? I'll try attaching photos for reference. We are brand new to this and I'm trying to learn fast! Any suggestions on what may be going on or if she may have some illnesses? She is about 2 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bare spots on her wings... Note the weird looking feathers...
    [​IMG]

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    She looks fine to me! They go through some scraggly stages. Just make sure they have a warm place to stay and a way to cool off if they need to. Dry feed, fresh water, clean bedding (not newspaper)! And handle them frequently. If you still think she's a bit puney - you could put some vitamins (like polyvisol withOUT iron) in their water.

3. rocasocks

rocasocks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Nelson, Vic - Australia
    Kinda looks like she might be a frizzle...

4. VandyClark

VandyClark Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Woodville, TX
    I think she may ok- she just looks so different from the 7 others in her brood (mixed bantams from a feed store). But so feisty!! I actually hope it is a frizzle- a white bantam in the mix is very clearly frizzle- soooo curly already!! This one's feathers are not very "normal" looking so I do hope for frizzle! Thank you for the feed back. From what I'd read online it seemed she might be ok but I was worried. I am giving the bunch extra vitimins just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by