1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam chicken egg bound, with broken egg- how to treat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Weebee, May 2, 2017.

1. Weebee

Weebee Just Hatched

May 2, 2017
    Colorado
    We have a little 7 yr old Bantam about (3lbs) who periodically becomes egg bound with a soft shelled egg and usually expels it within a day. This time it's going on 3 days and she's really suffering. We have given 2 warm baths, liquid calcium and vitamins with no luck yet. My son says he found a piece of egg shell on her bottom (in the drippy area near her vent) so we think that the egg has broken. He said it was semi-hard. I have not seen any eggshell yet but it makes sense. Today I tried to insert my finger but she fought terribly and I didn't get far and didn't feel any egg. I may try the farm vet in the morning but she is so little, and I'm not sure he has experience with this. Any one have any experience with this in a Bantam and how to remove the broken egg?
    She is still drinking and still seems strong, but tomorrow we will need to take action.
    We have information on how to change her diet later, but need advice for tomorrow.
    Thanks!

2. Weebee

Weebee Just Hatched

May 2, 2017
    Colorado
    UPDATE The chicken has egg yolk peritonitis. My vet said that the prognosis is very poor and made it sound almost hopeless. He did inject her abdomen with antibiotics, and advised SMV TMz once a day, and tube feeding if we want to try. I asked about cleaning out her abdomen and he said that would involve surgery and it would probably not work in the long run, that the infection would just keep building up. He did not offer to drain the fluid.
    Searching previous posts it looks like a couple people have had success treating this, but it's hard to get a good feel for it. This is my son's favorite pet, and I'm not sure what to tell him yet. Please share if you have had success treating. Thank you!

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. Weebee

Weebee Just Hatched

May 2, 2017
    Colorado
    This is the best compilation of information I've seen so far, and I have a much better understanding of it now. I have contacted my vet to see if the implant may be an option at this point. I really appreciate your help! It saves me the time and energy of plowing through a lot of other helpful and unhelpful info. What a terrible affliction this is!
    Now to attend to our little bantam and my son who will be heartbroken when he finds out...

5. Weebee

Weebee Just Hatched

May 2, 2017
    Colorado

6. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about your little hen. :hugs

7. Weebee

Weebee Just Hatched

May 2, 2017
    Colorado
    Update: the bantam recovered fully and has been doing great up til today. The vet seemed reluctant to try the implant, not sure why. He thought a bacteria culture was the better use of our money at that point, and he didn't feel she would live very long. We had the culture done and it turned out she didn't have any harmful bacteria. Now we wish we had gone for the implant because she is having another episode. My question is has anyone done the suprelorin implant in a bantam? She is 1.25 lbs (not the 3lb estimate I had in my first post). I know the cost is ridiculous for a chicken (and an old one at that), but this one is a beloved pet, almost as loved as our dog. Also if we decide to try the implant is there an advantage to getting it immediately or wait for her to recover? She only lays about once a month.

8. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

So is that like a chicken hysterectomy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by