Bantam chickens (Mille Fleur D'Uccles)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dieseldog, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Dieseldog

Dieseldog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Western Massachusetts
    Our snow will soon be gone and I want to let my chickens out to roam my back yard. The 3 older hens are pros at being let out but the other 6 were too young last fall. My question is should I let my 2 bantams out. I am worried because they can fly. My 2 Silkies not so much. My 25' x 25' run is netted for hawks but I see the hen bantam fly inside the pen. Thank you for the help.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    What are you afraid of? Is there a yard fence you don't want them to go over? My d'uccle free range just as well as all my other breeds. Younger birds will usually stick close to the coop initially, than slowly expand the range as they become more confident.

3. Dieseldog

Dieseldog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks, just what I was hoping to hear. I live in the woods and was worried they would leave me for the wild. Lol! These two Miles are always on my lap when I sit with them. Great pets for sure.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My bantam don't travel as far as my large breeds do, so I wouldn't expect yours to go too far either. D'uccle are goofy little birds with big personalities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by