Bantam Chicks Breed and Sex

Pics
Excellent flavour choice 🤣

They are going to have a hefty area right now it's about 3m x 5m but husband is extending 3m to the side and this will give them another 5m length. This is because most of our hens are normal size and only these 4 are the bantams.

We are going to make the run so it will allow for three sections. One for the bantams if the introduction doesn't go well and 1 that can be opened or closed depending if we have chicks and the main run. They will also free range 2 - 3 times a week supervised. We have big predator problems and they wouldn't last 5 mins free ranging without us here.

All our gardens are around 60-70ft long and 50ft wide and run side by side.

How exciting you have a hatch in progress! This is why I'd love to keep the boys, please do add me to the thread!
Excellent flavour choice 🤣

They are going to have a hefty area right now it's about 3m x 5m but husband is extending 3m to the side and this will give them another 5m length. This is because most of our hens are normal size and only these 4 are the bantams.

We are going to make the run so it will allow for three sections. One for the bantams if the introduction doesn't go well and 1 that can be opened or closed depending if we have chicks and the main run. They will also free range 2 - 3 times a week supervised. We have big predator problems and they wouldn't last 5 mins free ranging without us here.

All our gardens are around 60-70ft long and 50ft wide and run side by side.

How exciting you have a hatch in progress! This is why I'd love to keep the boys, please do add me to the thread!
Sounds like a good area. You have hens other than these cheepers? How many? Any roosters with the hens? I'm going to guess that your neighbors are about 100 feet away...? Something you might consider is introducing the cheepers to your neighbors and telling them about the roos, getting their thoughts, etc. You may be able to bribe them with eggs...

I wouldn't worry about the introduction. I always just stick the chicks in the coop at night, and everything's fine after that. They stay in their own factions, but my ladies don't bother the cheepers and all of my roos are gentlemen.

Sounds like a good area. You have hens other than these cheepers? How many? Any roosters with the hens? I'm going to guess that your neighbors are about 100 feet away...? Something you might consider is introducing the cheepers to your neighbors and telling them about the roos, getting their thoughts, etc. You may be able to bribe them with eggs...

I wouldn't worry about the introduction. I always just stick the chicks in the coop at night, and everything's fine after that. They stay in their own factions, but my ladies don't bother the cheepers and all of my roos are gentlemen.
Yes I would say they are 80ft from the chickens. Our houses are about 10ft apart. They are mostly retiree's so home all day.

One of the neighbours has been round, she thought the idea of keeping chicken in your back garden is the craziest thing she ever heard.

The other neighbours thought it was strange but don't want to come round.....they have been monitoring the coop build because they though husband was building a summer house, when I said it was for chickens they went quite pale.....

I'm going to lead with the egg idea 🤣 we only have one egg laying hen at the moment so it might be a bit of a wait but hopefully we'll have a few more soon.

We have some hybrids that are about 19-20weeks. These are a barred rock, a Rhode Rock, an ISA and a Bason White. They are sweet girls. The barred and white are inseparable.

We also have 2 hopefully blue egg layers and a copper Maran. The blue egg layers are 4 weeks old. We did introduce them to the bantams after a few days side by side but the boys kept picking on them. I might try slipping them in at night when they move into the coop though.

The reason we have those is because they are almost impossible to buy near me and those that sell them they go for a lot of money. Our bantam chicks were £5 each, the hybrids were £10 but the second nearest place that sells Marans or Blue egg layers wants £40! There is one place I've found that delivers but this is £70 extra 😱

I hope the hatching is going well! L

Yes I would say they are 80ft from the chickens. Our houses are about 10ft apart. They are mostly retiree's so home all day.

One of the neighbours has been round, she thought the idea of keeping chicken in your back garden is the craziest thing she ever heard.

The other neighbours thought it was strange but don't want to come round.....they have been monitoring the coop build because they though husband was building a summer house, when I said it was for chickens they went quite pale.....

I'm going to lead with the egg idea 🤣 we only have one egg laying hen at the moment so it might be a bit of a wait but hopefully we'll have a few more soon.

We have some hybrids that are about 19-20weeks. These are a barred rock, a Rhode Rock, an ISA and a Bason White. They are sweet girls. The barred and white are inseparable.

We also have 2 hopefully blue egg layers and a copper Maran. The blue egg layers are 4 weeks old. We did introduce them to the bantams after a few days side by side but the boys kept picking on them. I might try slipping them in at night when they move into the coop though.

The reason we have those is because they are almost impossible to buy near me and those that sell them they go for a lot of money. Our bantam chicks were £5 each, the hybrids were £10 but the second nearest place that sells Marans or Blue egg layers wants £40! There is one place I've found that delivers but this is £70 extra 😱

I hope the hatching is going well! L
Yeah, your neighbors sound like vanilla, and not the good vanilla bean. Hmm. So the pekin and wyandotte are your only roosters?

Back
Top Bottom