Bantam chicks killed by a cat

bubbaloo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
uk
I am so devastated, two of my bantam chicks have been killed by a cat, they must have got through one of the small holes in the chicken wire, unbelievable as the holes are really small, will the mum be ok, she sounds like she is crying, she only has one chick left, will she abandon it, I'm so upset for her......??????

Aw, I'm so sorry! How sad for you both. :(

If you are able to, perhaps you could put up some better wire over the chicken wire. It's easy for foxes and dogs to tear through chicken wire, and it's devastating! Here in the states we have something called "hardware cloth" which is a wire mesh that's heavier duty than chicken wire and with smaller holes. I bet there's something similar over there if not the same thing. It's a lot harder for animals to get through it. :)

Thanks, I've just been out to do that very thing, in the pooring rain!! Broody seems more settled now, thankyou for your advice.

Not more than an hour ago, i heard my chickens screaming frantically. They free range in my tiny yard surrounded by an 8 ft wooden fence, They are only 9 weeks old and have been doing fine. I ran outside and saw the black cat in mid air after my babies! I understand how you must feel! Its one thing to keep dogs off your property, but cats? Have you seen the cat again? Do you or any one else have any ideas what Im supposed to do about this? I have two cats of my own and a large dog.Tthe 3 of them usually sleep all day in the house. My dog is on pain meds which make him sleep all day and I cannot use him to help protect my babies! Its just not fair I have to keep my chickens locked up.
hu.gif
Im so sorry for the loss of your baby :(

hugs.gif
So sorry to hear about these losses to cats. Unfortunately, until the chicks are bigger, keeping them enclosed is the only way to safeguard them from ranging cats and other predators. Once they are closer to adult size, most cats will not bother them - and if they do, it usually only takes one time to learn just how much that beak and those talons hurt!

I agree, it is advisable to keep them penned in until they are big enought to fight off certain predators, I have chicken wire that goes over the top of my pen so nothing can jump in, it was just unfortunate that the little chicks managed to get through the chicken wire holes around the bottom of the pen, which I have now secured and mumma and surviving chick are doing well.
I understand your devistation, I still can't get over it now, the cat is still lurking, I keep having to scare it off, at least it can't get to my chick!!:/

Back
Top Bottom