Bantam Chicks randomly died

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Walder Farm, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Walder Farm

Walder Farm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    I bought 7 sebright chicks last saturday at an auction. They are probably around 2 or 3 weeks old. I lost one at that auction and then one when i got home. I had figured this was from being in the cold but then today i lost 2 more. They were running around and then an hour later they were dead. They did have mites but i treated for that and they went away.

2. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    what did treat the mites with? did you possibly overdo the treatment?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I doubt the op overtreated them - he lost one at the auction and one when he got home.

4. chick007

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    it also stated that he lost two more today. sorry for trying to help him. i have raised chicks before, just not lately

5. Walder Farm

Sep 14, 2011
    I had treated with a spray and then the 5 i had left were fine. But then earlier i want to check on them and 2 more were dead. I am worried that the 3 i have left will die.

6. chick007

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    it would be helpful if knew what you treated them with as some chemicals are harmful to younger chicks

7. chick007

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    may want to also post your question on injury and illlnesses. please read what other info is needed to get more fitting results

8. Walder Farm

Sep 14, 2011
    I used a peremethrin fly spray concentrate that i diluted way down and everything was fine until the 2 died out of the blue.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Hard to say when they are so young. The latest I have lost a chick for "no reason" just chick mortality is 3 weeks old.

But you should think about coccidiosis when they are that age- are they lethargic and huddled as if cold, even when they are under the heat light?

Mites can kill chickens too.

Chick007- don't get discouraged. I get corrected all the time too and we are all here to learn! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Drumstick diva is correct and we are all grateful when someone has an insight. There is nothing wrong with what you asked. I might have asked the same question.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  10. Walder Farm

Sep 14, 2011
    Not really huddled around they are eating and drinking as normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by