Bantam chicks - what breed and sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by birdfunaddict, Apr 5, 2018.

1. birdfunaddict

birdfunaddict In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    I finally caved and got 4 new bantam chicks in the last week. The first 3 are one week old and the newest one I'm guessing is approximately 2-3 days old. I'll start with the newest (#1). Legs are featherless and yellow and wing feathers are already showing well. I'm assuming a pullet? Beautiful silver color with very faint and light champagne down center of "chipmunk" stripe on back. I'm pretty certain on my guess of the black and white w/ unfeathered darker legs (#2) and the silver/grey with the feathered yellow legs (#3) but not certain of the light red/buff w/ white shoulders and yellow feathered legs (#4). Any additional perspective would be greatly appreciated.

#1 - pullet? Blue or Lavender Ameraucana...maybe a silver or blue Wyandotte or Silver penciled Plymouth Rock?
    #2 - pullet. Silver Laced Wyandotte
    #3 - roo? Light Brahma
    #4 - pullet? Partridge Cochin or Light Bantam? IMG_2152.JPG IMG_2153.JPG IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2155.JPG IMG_2156.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    I wouldn’t be able to tell yet... maybe in a couple weeks I would be able to tell!! I’m just now starting to study chicken breeds, first I was (and still) studying the sounds. I’m good at researching about chickens, so if you want you could message me in a couple weeks when they get more feathers. Hope I can help.

3. birdfunaddict

Apr 5, 2018
    Thanks, for the response. I'm not new to chickens, but have only had full-size Ameraucanas and Buff Orpingtons and I've always bought sexed pullets with great success. I've been researching everything I could get my hands on over the last couple of weeks on bantams and their breeds and sex indicators...been logging several hours in the evenings...but I'm still pretty stumped on the newbies.

LoveDatChickenLife likes this.
  4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

#1. I'd say Easter Egger. Wrong leg color for a true Ameraucana.
    #2. Bantam Easter Egger as well, given the beard/muffs, which is a characteristic Wyandottes do not have.
    #3. Honestly does look like a Light Brahma, provided it has a pea comb. Not sure how common they are in bantam form, though?
    #4. Definitely a Cochin, looks a little light to be Partridge, though. Possibly Silver Penciled? Time will tell.

As far as gender, they're way too young to determine yet. :) I'd wait another 4 or so weeks. Enjoy your little cuties! :love

~Alex

drumstick diva likes this.
  5. birdfunaddict

Apr 5, 2018
    Thanks! I appreciate the comments. I thought #2 was a Wyandotte for sure. The beard/muffs dont' seem as fluffy in person as they do in the pics.

Alexandra33 likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Alexandra but would like to see new photos at 8 weeks of age

Alexandra33 likes this.
  7. Alexandra33

You're very welcome! :) I understand that. Wyandottes are much darker, though, more of a grizzled steel gray with mottling on the face.

~Alex

8. birdfunaddict

Apr 5, 2018
    Any "guesses" as to the possible color of #1?...would LOVE blue or lavender tendencies!

Alexandra33 likes this.
  9. Alexandra33

With Easter Eggers, it's often VERY hard to determine the color of future plumage. :) Just recently, I received a nearly solid blue EE chick in my order from Cackle, and she's feathered out mostly buff! :rolleyes: But I'd say the chances your baby will have some form of lavender or light blue on it are quite good. :D I do hope you'll keep us updated! :love

~Alex

10. Gdove419

Gdove419 Chirping

Feb 28, 2018
    I have 3 bantams, two frizzles and a Millie fluer. They are 4 and 1/2 weeks old and I still can’t tell by looking at them who’s a rooster..but one was starting to crow this morning! :barnie Although it was the funniest crowing I have heard, coming from this tiny fuzzy crazy looking chick!

birdfunaddict likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: