Bantam Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moomee56, Apr 26, 2011.

1. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    Would bantam chicks, like my silkies, have a different temperature range? It seems like my little chicks are too hot, they stay mostly in the not so hot corners and around the edge. They are only 1 1/2 weeks old, and the temperature is 90 until later this week when I bring the light up to cool it some. Would they need more cooler temperatures? I noticed that from straight after hatching they were panting at 95 degrees. Any help?

2. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    I keep my bantams at the same temp as my standards. They are most likely just fine. Think of it this way... if its 100 degrees outside then its 100 degrees outside, but it seems a lot hotter when you are in direct sunlight. Maybe they just want to get out of the direct light. If they get cold they will move in closer [​IMG]

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I would say that if they are panting and have moved as far away as possible from the light, its too hot. I have 6 silkies in my brooder and had to adjust the lamp higher after a week as they were too warm. It will also depend on how warm the room is where you are brooding them, if they are near a window where sunlight comes in, etc. My babies like it cooler and generally sleep spread out unless it is a cool day then they sleep together under the lamp. My brooder is in the basement so it is generally cooler down there anyways. I hope this helps. I have noticed that the cooler temp is helping them to feather out faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by