Bantam chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by macpee2, Aug 30, 2013.

1. macpee2

macpee2 New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    I have a 4 day old bantam chick (the other 2 didnt hatch) and was wondering what was the best feed for her. The chick crumbs seem too big for her and at present she is eating grated egg. Does anyone have any ideas.

macpee2

2. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Chick crumbs shouldn't be too big, maybe she's just not sure what to do with it yet. Amongst chick crumbs there are smaller & larger pieces ( Well there is in the stuff I buy ) so she should have a choice of size there. Chicks can fit a lot down their throats anyway, I had the shock of seeing on of my 3 devouring a piece of egg 3 times the size of his beak in one go [​IMG] took him a couple of go's but he did it in the end.

If she's really having problems try feeding her boiled egg yolk for a couple of days & keep the chick crumbs nearby.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Bantam chicks should have no trouble with crumbles...she'll get the hang of it.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The crumbles I get have the occasional pellet the missed being pulverized. I've seen my bantams chicks swallow them down whole (like a snake). If you're really worried, put some of the crumbs in a ziplock bag and crush them further :)
    If your chicks already eating the egg, mixing some egg bits and crumbles together may encourage it to peck at the chick feed. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by