Bantam Cochin. Am I chocolate? (*PIC HEAVY*)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kikster, Oct 28, 2009.

1. kikster

kikster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    When asking questions about another chicken, I've had a few BYCers suggest that my fave little banty cochin (who was in the backgrouond) may be considered "chocolate." I've always wondered because the colors that I usually see mentioned w/Cochins never seem to match our girl. So can ya'll tell me what color she is? [​IMG]

Here's the pics from that thread, plus a few more. (Sorry they're so big, lol):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Would that be partridge? IDK?

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    No, not partridge.
    How old is she?
    Sometimes they go through a spell where they look like a color that they aren't. Once the feathers come in totally, you have their true color.
    I know there are chocolate colors in chickens but from what I have seen they don't look like this but they also were not on a Cochin.
    Good luck and sorry I couldn't help more.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I dont think that is a chocolate.
    Do you know what else is in her what she is mixed with? She looks to have black/dark green legs and feet.

Chris

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    IDK but shes mighty purdy!

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have a standard dark blue hen that recently started getting brown feathers mixed in. I am wondering if she will end up looking similar to yours at some point. She was totally blue, but after her last molt, her feathers have changed. I am guessing she won't go back to being solid blue again, sadly. Guess thats hatchery stock for ya. I will have to get a closer pic of her, but you can sort of see the light brown towards the back of her. The feathers up her back are getting touches of brown as well.

[​IMG]

7. kikster

kikster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Quote:Hmmm, I dunno. She does look a little similar. I used to think that she was either black or blue, simply because I couldn't find a pic of one like her that described her color. She's never perfectly fit in any category to me. Even when I google "chocolate cochin" I don't see any images of brown cochins, except for this one which is a painting. It has some similarity (but it is a painting..)

I'm stumped.

@Chris09, I don't know what else she's mixed w/? I was just told she was a Bantam Cochin

@Nadine, [​IMG] , I have no idea of her age? When I got her I was just told she (and the others I got) were all 1-3yrs (never knew who was closer to 1 and who was closer to 3, lol) She lays pretty frequently, though, so I don't imagine she's too old, maybe 1 1/2 - 2 yrs or so...

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:My blue birds get that way from the sun. When you add the "brassy" to the blue they kinda look brown. Maybe that's what it is.

As for the OPs- wow- she's neat! [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    She may be chocolate, or she may have sunburned feathers (which turns them brown). Blues, blacks and even greys get sun-"browned" feathers if they get much UV exposure.

From feathersite choc-based chocolate and chocolate partridge:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    dun-based fawn silver duckwing:
    [​IMG]
    and dun-based chocolate (from the Polish Breeders Club website, http://www.polishbreedersclub.com/wcchocolatepolish.htm):
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    more dun-based chocolates, from the OEGBCA website, http://www.bantychicken.com/cgi-bin...penalbum&album=2&albumname=Unrecog.+Varieties :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and listed as chocolate, but looks more like khaki (double dose of dun):
    [​IMG]

10. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    From the sun, wow I had no clue! Thanks for letting me know. That is probably what it is, as she loves to spend time dust bathing and roaming around in the sun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by