1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam cochin and silkie... genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bettacreek, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I'll have to get pictures, but until I snap some, edit and get them uploaded, can you even sex them at about 5 weeks? If I remember correctly, the silkies are a pain in the butt to sex. I'll try to get pictures.

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    the cochins possibly some lines develop pretty quick..

3. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Alright, they're about 6 weeks old or so. I have shots of the cochin, but haven't updated the silkie shots.

Excuse the hospital slipper socks and the bright green jammies (hey, it's about midnight, I'm allowed!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please, please tell me this is a pullet! Lol. I can't keep roos, and this Vulture Bird is my little buddy, despite trying not to get attached in case of the whole roo deal. [​IMG]

4. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    if it's 6 weeks, I'll say 80% girl.

5. backswamp

backswamp Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2008
    Richlands, NC
    I agree. It's a girl. I have 12 frizzle Cochins that are 7 weeks old and it was pretty easy to tell at about 3 weeks. One of my roos tried to crow this morning!.

6. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    at 7 weeks that'll be hilarious... [​IMG]

7. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    That's definitley a girl. We just got two bantams and our boy [​IMG] was clearly a boy at about three weeks. Here are some pictures of our ours to help you compare.

Here they are at 7 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Yippie! Thanks guys! I love this bird and I was worrying the whole time, hoping it wouldn't turn out to be a boy that we'd have to get rid of. [​IMG] I'm glad I get to keep her, and I'm sure our son will be too (she's the only bird that will let him touch her).

9. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yup, girl. I have a brooder full of one month old boys downstairs and it's very obvious, though they aren't crowing, yet. Red bigger combs and wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by