Bantam cochin and silkie... genders?

Bettacreek

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
I'll have to get pictures, but until I snap some, edit and get them uploaded, can you even sex them at about 5 weeks? If I remember correctly, the silkies are a pain in the butt to sex. I'll try to get pictures.

Bettacreek

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Alright, they're about 6 weeks old or so. I have shots of the cochin, but haven't updated the silkie shots.

Excuse the hospital slipper socks and the bright green jammies (hey, it's about midnight, I'm allowed!)

Please, please tell me this is a pullet! Lol. I can't keep roos, and this Vulture Bird is my little buddy, despite trying not to get attached in case of the whole roo deal.

backswamp

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
Richlands, NC
I agree. It's a girl. I have 12 frizzle Cochins that are 7 weeks old and it was pretty easy to tell at about 3 weeks. One of my roos tried to crow this morning!.

rebecca10782

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
That's definitley a girl. We just got two bantams and our boy
was clearly a boy at about three weeks. Here are some pictures of our ours to help you compare.

Here they are at 7 weeks

Bettacreek

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Yippie! Thanks guys! I love this bird and I was worrying the whole time, hoping it wouldn't turn out to be a boy that we'd have to get rid of.
I'm glad I get to keep her, and I'm sure our son will be too (she's the only bird that will let him touch her).

asher

Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire
13 Years
Jan 26, 2007
Mountains of NC
Yup, girl. I have a brooder full of one month old boys downstairs and it's very obvious, though they aren't crowing, yet. Red bigger combs and wattles.

Top Bottom