Bantam Cochin chick probably a male?

rreyou

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2020
Good evening! My friend and I recently got chickens for our apartment since we just moved from households that previously owned chickens and I missed them. Unfortunately, one of our little buddies seems to be a little guy.

It's a little over 3 weeks old and has a pronounced comb that's already turning red.
1580954110555.png

1580954091576.png

We took a chance with this little chick .The other chickens are ~2 month old pullets whose combs are smaller than his, so that's why I'm thinking boy.
However, I never raised bantam chickens from this young of an age before, so I am still unfamiliar with sexing babies.
We live about an hour and a half from Dallas, TX. Is there much hope in a farmer being able to take him for free if I list on Craigslist? I'm not sure what the demand for bantam cochin male chicks are so I'm worried we will have to put him/her down. I'd like to take care of him/her until the first crow but after that I'm stuck on what to do.

Attachments

rreyou

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2020
You can find people but they will most likely butcher it and feed it to their dogs.
Ahh I figured :( we got it from someone selling a batch of chicks so I think if we didn't buy it,that might have happened to it anyway. Is it better to cull chicks this young?

Top Bottom