Bantam Cochin chicks 2 weeks old coloring questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ceeej123, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Ceeej123

Ceeej123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Hi! New chicken mom here. I have questions about the coloring and hope someone could maybe tell me...have 2 bantam Cochin chicks, 2 weeks old, pictured below. Not sure if the lighter one is a white or buff? The darker color on the wings is PEACH colored. Pretty baby, feathering much faster than the other chick but also much bigger.

"Her" name so far is Buttercup...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the other chick, temporarily named Kiwi...is much smaller and hasn't grown or changed a lot. Black with some whitish grey markings and cute little "eyebrow" markings. Will this one be black?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you for any input!

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    As a basic rule color in young birds can change so once they fully feather out is really when you can tell. Young birds molt out 3 times until they become adults.

Even though I don't know for sure I think the top one will turn into a buff. Cochins also have some project varieties and there's always a chance for a sport.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  3. Ceeej123

Feb 3, 2015
    Thank you for your response. I's love to see some REALLY interesting or shocking before and afters. May be a good topic for a new thread.

I know they change a lot. I think I'm just so excited. Never got to watch chicks grow up! Everything is new and fun. So much to learn!

Oh, and what is a "sport"?

4. Ceeej123

Feb 3, 2015
    I started a new thread on sexing for these two! If I can figure out how to post a link to it here I will but there are new pics there if you want to see progress. Here are a couple:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other thread I think is called 3 Month Bantam Cochins - help with sexing

Thank you all :)

Buttercup and Kiwi are doing GREAT and are the most lovable of all my chickens! Always in my lap, on my lap, or in my hair! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by