bantam cochin color and sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenni2142, May 13, 2009.

1. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    Gypsy is 7 weeks old and I am thinking girl because her comb is pale orange most of the time, it does pink up a little with excitement(didn't want off of me to pose). I am curious about the gray coloring on the head and neck, I don't know if it comes through in the pics but she has great barring on her body and wing feathers. She is my first cochin, I really hope it is a she. Am I right on sex? Anyone know what this color is called? I really want more cochins, I love the feathered legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hillbilly Rooster

Hillbilly Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    I was wonder about mine as well as I was reading someone suggest to go to feathersite.com. It helped me fiqure some of mine out.

She/He is nice looking.[​IMG]

3. bremat

bremat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    KY
    I am not sure, sorry. But she is absolutely beautiful! I have some of these little sweeties and I hope at least one of mine turns out like her!

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    If it is white or silver then birchen cochin is my guess. If it is gold and black barring then partridge cochin is my guess. However, the size of those wattles and comb at just 7 wks tells me roo. For me, cochins have always "told" me what they were pretty early.

5. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    on another thread about cochins the roos at this age had bigger combs and their pullets look like mine so I am hopeful. The comb is normally very pale and my roos so far have just gotten pink/red and stayed that way. Anyone know if roos combs change with excitement?
    No crowing yet although others gotten at the same time have been crowing, a japanese and a silkie. What about gray and brown and black barring? She, I hope she, has both.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silver penciled pullet (can also be called silver partridge). The pattern indicates a female; males look significantly different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by