Bantam Cochin? Color? Gender? *NEW PIC*

Reptigirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
I got these 8 ADORABLE babies as "Assorted Bantam Chicks" from a local lady. She said they were between a few days old up to about 2 weeks.

She said her Roo was a Cochin & her Hens were Cochins & 1 Silkie. All the eggs were mixed together and she didn't know who was who's. Also said a few of the chicks might end up Frizzled.

I know it's a long shot but I was hoping someone might help me figure out what colors they are? Possibly Gender?

When would I know if they are going to be Frizzled?

Will it be easy to tell who is Cochin/Cochin and which are Cochin/Silkie?

Blacks ~

#1 ~ My guess is a little Roo?
DSCN3842.jpg

#2~ My Guess is Pullet?
DSCN3867.jpg

#3~ My Guess is Roo
DSCN3855.jpg

#4~ One of the youngest ones. My guess is Pullet
DSCN3864.jpg

*Black Group Pic*
DSCN3857.jpg

Blues~

#1 ~ My FAVORITE! Guess is pullet? I really want to know what color this one is going to be!!!
DSCN3869.jpg

Here it is again!
DSCN3874.jpg

#2 ~ Guessing pullet? Medium Blue but getting white tips on the feathers
DSCN3881.jpg

#3 ~ Guessing pullet? So dark it almost looks black at times. But I'm sure it's blue.
DSCN3876.jpg

#4 ~ Another REALLY tiny one. No idea what to guess
DSCN3886.jpg

*Blue Group Pic*
DSCN3889.jpg

Everyone all lined up! They did this on there own!
DSCN3897.jpg

Last edited:
The one up front in the black group picture looks to be frizzled...looks like some feathers starting to stick out there. I have some frizzles..that's how they start out, mostly in the wings first.
Not sure about the other things you are asking, they are young as of yet.
smile.png

Pretty cute babies!

Your going to drive yourself crazy wanting to know the genders.
lau.gif
. They are quite young. I have 2 month old RIR that I still don't know. I'm waiting for an egg or a crow. Very cute chicks! I have a 6 week splash frizzle Cochin that is a real sweetheart. I bought my Cochin straight run and I'm 99% sure it's a girl. Look for the combs turning red/pink at 4 weeks for the boys(usually). The girls will stay yellow for much longer. Also, boys develop wattles much faster as well in this breed.

Quote:
Again, just a guess..but going by what my splash looked like at this age..just like your light ones. I wasn't too sure either, but it is a couple of weeks old now, and really has the darker colors coming through the wing feathers..going to be very pretty.

Not sure about the black. Haven't ever had a mottled.

I think you are pretty much correct on the genders and colors even though it is difficult to tell at their age. #2 looks like she could be a mottled cochin. They are really cute!

Last edited:
looks like you have all blue and black bantam cochins. none of them looks splash to me (splash chicks will generally look almost white as babies) and none of them look like silkie crosses to me (if they were silkie crosses they would have black skin around their eyes, and most likely 5 toes as well.)

i agree with the poster above who said that the one black one might be a frizzle. you should be able to tell by the end of this week whether he/she is a frizzle or not. if it's a frizzle the feathers will be curly looking. if the feathers are just messy looking, its because they rub them the wrong way. frizzles always have slighly curled feathers as babies.

i guess its possible that the one really light blue looking chick MIGHT be a splash. but like i said, they usually look whiter as chicks. but i have one or two who looked like this as chicks and ended up being splash rather than blue.

they are too young to tell sexes but you should be able to tell by at least week 8 if not sooner. i have had bantam cochins who also crowed at week 2 of age.

congrats on your new babies. i hope you post again in a few weeks so we can help you with the sexes!
smile.png

Well the chicks are getting bigger... Going to wait another week or two to post pictures of all of them.. but I do have a question:

Why do some have a thick patch of feathers coming off the BACK of the leg and pointing outwards.. and others don't have ANYTHING similar...They all have fuzzy feet.. Just some have feathers pointing OUTWARDS on there legs *See pix*

DSCN3963.jpg

DSCN3961.jpg

DSCN3965.jpg

Back
Top Bottom