Bantam cochin egg fertility issues

Adil_Ali

Chirping
Jul 3, 2020
I bought a trio of bantam cochin chickens. And the hens are laying eggs, and I have hatched a few of their eggs in the past (6), but the fertility is extremely low. Their age is about 3 years, and I feel like the problem isn't with the age, I think they face difficulty in mating. The male does not mount the hen properly due to the excessive amount of feathers, and odd shape of the bird and I feel like he always misses the vent. What can I do? I feel like artificial insemination would work; except the only thing is I have never done it before, and don't know anyone who does it. Any of you have any tips I could use?

Cheers
Shelby

I bought a trio of bantam cochin chickens. And the hens are laying eggs, and I have hatched a few of their eggs in the past (6), but the fertility is extremely low. Their age is about 3 years, and I feel like the problem isn't with the age, I think they face difficulty in mating. The male does not mount the hen properly due to the excessive amount of feathers, and odd shape of the bird and I feel like he always misses the vent. What can I do? I feel like artificial insemination would work; except the only thing is I have never done it before, and don't know anyone who does it. Any of you have any tips I could use?

Cheers
Shelby
Trim down the vent area. get rid of the excess feathers

A quick fix would be too trim down their vent feathers. But long term: if they can't breed naturally, should the be kept as breeders? I like to farm naturally and that includes staying away from any kind of AI. Do what you want, just my two cents.

A quick fix would be too trim down their vent feathers. But long term: if they can't breed naturally, should the be kept as breeders? I like to farm naturally and that includes staying away from any kind of AI. Do what you want, just my two cents.
yeah i am considering to auction em off if in the next month all eggs are still infertile, despite trimming feet and vent feathers, eggs will be going in the incubator in a week

Back
Top Bottom