Bantam Cochin Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farmhouse319, Jul 10, 2016.

1. farmhouse319

farmhouse319 New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    We think they are all Pullets but cant be sure! Thoughts?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

How old are they? Middle and left look like pullets. Right is iffy but rooster-ish depending on age.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with Queen Misha.

4. farmhouse319

farmhouse319 New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    We think they are 7-8 weeks old. They were given to us by our local farm supply when they didn't sell. It wasnt clear. Unfortunately this has left us wondering all along. The one on the right has always been larger than the other two which could definitely mean roo I suppose. I sure think they are gorgeous! Thanks for the reply!

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

If they are 7-8 weeks, I'd say all pullets then. Partridge is a dimorphic variety, meaning that males and females are different colors. By 7-8 weeks, cockerels should have begun to develop large amounts of black in the breast and wings. These all appear to have lovely brown-red female coloring. I'd say the little bird on the right is simply a bit of a masculine pullet, given her relatively large comb.

6. farmhouse319

farmhouse319 New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    So interesting! Thank you so much for your knowledge and kindness! I can't wait to watch her keep growing!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Queen Misha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by