Bantam Cochin - Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by greenbeandreams, Dec 10, 2009.

1. greenbeandreams

greenbeandreams Chillin' With My Peeps

A couple weeks ago, (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=271150), I posted about my Partridge Bantam Cochins</a>. One (Lollipop) came back as universally a boy but everyone else was split on whether Willow was a boy or girl. I've got to say that I'm pretty sure he's a he but gosh, can anyone give me a little something to hope for. Any chance he's a she? I'm not allowed to keep roosters where I live.

Here are the chicks at 6 weeks.

Pushy little Lollipop is first. I'd be shocked if he isn't a he.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shy sweet Willow is second. This is the one I was hoping might be a hen but the comb and wattles make me think no. Still the tail is different . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    I vote boy. Sorry!

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Look like roos

4. greenbeandreams

Aw man! It is as I suspected but poor little fellas. Anyone want to adopt a cutie little cochin?

5. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    my vote is on boy
    sorry if that is not
    what you wanted
    to hear

6. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    well they both have the color of partidge hens so dont let them go till they crow [​IMG]
    pm me if you have any ???/

7. greenbeandreams

well they both have the color of partidge hens so dont let them go till they crow

Well - that's something to hope for at least! [​IMG]

8. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I think the feathering is due to them still having juevinile feathers. When they molt the next time, it should be evident as to who is male and if there are any females. I do not know what the OPs goals are for these birds, but they both look to have vulture hocks, which is a trail that you wouldn't want to breed into your cochin line.

9. greenbeandreams

Thanks for the reply Dustin Biery. I live in a dense urban area and am not allowed to keep roosters - even for breeding. [​IMG] I was just looking for some laying hens. Appreciate your feedback.

10. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    haven't raised that specific color before but lots of Bantam Cochins and both would be considered boys at this point here.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by