Bantam Cochin is about to hatch eggs, questions???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shanda, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    I have a bantam cochin, "Rosie", that is about to hatch some eggs (21 days is Sunday the 28th). Our temperatures here are getting to be in the single digits at night and freezing during the day. She is in a nesting box that is about 3.5 - 4 feet off the ground. I sectioned off an area in the coop and have it all set up for her and the new babies with a heat lamp, starter crumbles and water. My question is, do I move her and her eggs now (tonight) or wait until they hatch. My concerns about waiting are that it will be too cold in the nesting box and it is too high off the ground. My concern about moving her now is that she might not sit on the eggs if I move her. I have taken one of the eggs out from under her in the last few days to shine a light in it to try to see what was in there and she gladly took it back when I layed it in front of her. She is very dedicated. Any help is appreciated.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I would move her now so she is comfortable where you want her to hatch . It sounds like she is a good Mama already so you shouldn't have any issues. Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  3. Shanda

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    Thank you! That's what I want to do [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I usually wait until they hatch. My concern with moving her now is that she might try to get back to the old nest, not recognizing that you moved her eggs with her and if she stops sitting on them that would be very bad for the eggs.

5. Shanda

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    So in this scenario, when would I move her and the babies to their new home?

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've tried moving the broody and eggs. They want to go back to the nest they were on before, and don't recognize that their eggs are no longer there. They will, however, stay with the chicks after hatch, or at least a good mama will. I've also just let them hatch and raise the chicks in with the flock. If the mama is a good one, she will protect thie chicks.

The height of the nest where they are will not be a problem. Broodies have hatched a lot of eggs in hay lofts and the chicks did fine. The height of the nest will not be a problem. They will get down fine. They won't be able to get back up but she will stay with them, and probably make a nest on the coop floor.

If you leave her alone, you might consider making a place the chicks can escape to. In my coop it's a separate chicken wire "room." The chicks can go through or under the chicken wire but the hens can't get in there. For the last batch, I put the mama in the room, and the chicks would explore for brief periods then go back to mama. After a week or two I opened the room and the chicks did fine.

My broody is due on the 28th, too. The nest they are in is about 2' off the floor.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  7. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I had a broody sit her eggs in a basket outside the coop. when I tried to move her into the coop so I could keep her safe at night, she stayed overnight but went back to where she was the next morning. So then I compromised and moved her ahd the basket into the coop at night and back to her spot in the barn during the day. She tolerated this for all 21 days and hatched 5 lovely chicks [​IMG] Then I moved the family to the brooder.

8. Shanda

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    Quote:So, what about the cold. I have a little container of water in her nesting box with her because she won't leave and it freezes every day and night. I have to change it often.

The area I have made for them on the floor of the coop is fenced in, so I don't think she could get out if she tried.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had one broody raise chicks in November and December. I was amazed to see the chicks out pecking and scratching in the 40's. They would run back under her every few minutes, warm up, then back at it. Mama will keep them warm. I did not use a heat lamp, but then it never occurred to me; I had not found this web site. A lot of people probably would. Certainly you don't need to provide 90 or 95 degree heat, though. They will feather out faster than brooder raised chicks this way, even if you give them a 100 watt light bulb or the like. (A 100 watt bulb is the "old way" around here.)

10. Shanda

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    OK, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by