Bantam Cochin laid every day for a month then quit?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sparkles2307, Oct 22, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

She just came of age in like, the end of August. Started laying sporadically, then seemed to get into this lovely rhythm of laying every day but Sunday (hows that for a smart chicken!?) and after 4 weeks of steady laying 6 eggs a week she just stopped. Not even a slow reduction, just went from 6 a week to zero and hasnt laid a thing in 3.5 weeks now. She's fine tho, behaviorally, healthy, happy, nothing changed to upset her either. So I thought she was stressed, removed the roos, made it even more quiet, still nothing. Now my barred rocks (the 3 that stay in the pen) are all laying lovely eggs every day and my little banty just scratches and talks to herself as happy as a lark but no eggs!? What did I do wrong?

2. augrad

augrad New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    I just started with chickens 2 months ago, so I can't give you any advice, but I wanted to thank you for the chuckle! I laughed out loud about your chicken scratching a talking to herself and being happy as a lark!

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Now that it is getting into the Fall season, the amount of daylight is decreasing and it is getting colder. This "turns off" the biological/hormonal process that allows a hen to lay eggs. If you install a light, she should start laying again... that's if she's not going broody.

4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Quote:I have been looking for hidden clutches, trust me when I say that there is nowehere for even a banty to hide eggs in our coop [​IMG] She doesnt try to set on the BR eggs either so I wasnt suspecting Broodiness...Not that it REALLY matters since her eggs are so tiny, but they are the perfect size for my 5yo school lunches...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by