Bantam Cochin Not Laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crumbling Beauty, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Crumbling Beauty

Crumbling Beauty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    Portland, OR
    One of my hens (a white bantam cochin) hasn't begun laying again for the year. I bought her last fall, at a poultry show, from a woman who told me she was "last year's." It's okay with me if she doesn't lay (she has a sweet personality and is very entertaining), but I'd like to know if she should be laying or not, yet. She is definetly of laying age, and did lay me a few eggs last year, in the fall. Thanks for any help [​IMG].

2. SparkyCrows

SparkyCrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Kansas
    All 4 of my cochin bantams have also been on a laying hiatus for several month. Two are finishing up being broody but the other two were only broody-curious so I can't explain their lack of eggs. Any day now would be good! [​IMG]

3. Crumbling Beauty

Dec 30, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It's good to know that she's just a late starter. She has always seemed a little vapid to me, compared to my other hens, so sometimes it's hard to tell if she's behaving normally or not feeling tip-top. She hasn't gone broody. Let me know when your girls start laying agin [​IMG].

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    slip a little red pepper in her feed and see if that jump starts her.....I have a LF cochin hen that is laying every or every other day...she is in a tractor with her roo.....all good

5. Crumbling Beauty

Dec 30, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Red pepper, really? How does that work?

My LF Cochin is laying 6 eggs a week, but my tiny one isn't laying at all.

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I never had any luck getting my bantam frizzle cochins to lay, ever. I finally gave them away to a friend who wanted some "yard art" and any eggs that came her way would be frosting on the cake. Maybe it was the flock dynamics at our house, maybe they are just not great layers. But even people I know who have bantam cochins don't expect much out of them as far as egg production goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by