bantam cochin or white wyandotte for the newbie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by egglicious, Jun 12, 2011.

1. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    I have banty chicks coming and ordered two cochins among them, one frizzled... but now i've kinda got my eye on the white wyandotte banties since I did want something that lays decent (I know banties don't lay as well as LF)... but I also really like the friendly reputation of the cochin especially since I am a newbie.. ugh! I'm confused. Can those experienced with the two breeds please chime in? I am lousy when it comes to choosing chickens because I want them ALL, but alas, I can only have a few so I need to choose carefully. Thanks in advance!

2. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    If you want something friendly, pick the Cochin. IF you want a few more eggs and birds that will breed more easily then pic Wyandottes. I have raised both and loved both for their own different attributes. Some Wyandotte bantams will not be so friendly at times either....just depends on the strain and how much you fool with them growing up. Cochins will almost always be friendly, they will be around your feet like a cat or dog. They love to be picked up, etc....have had many that would hop up on your knee if you sat down and sing to me....
    Hope this helps...

3. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Get a few of each. Seriously. Chicken math works. : )

I sold all of my chicks (silver lacyed wyandottes included) but still have my near point of lay gold laced bantam cochins and just love those girls to death. When it comes time to move we are going to really cry when we have to part with them. If I didn't already have to fly 2 chihuahuas, 2 parakeets and 1 cockatiel to OK from Alaska I would sure try to figure out how to get them there.

I keep hoping they will lay me a freaking egg before then. That would be nice. [​IMG]

4. egglicious

May 7, 2011
    Quote:It's early, and when I first read your post I thought you said you had two flying chihuahuas. My initial reaction was, "Wow! I want one of those!" but then I realized a chihuahua that flies is probably not a good thing. [​IMG]

I would totally get one of each but I can only have five chickens and i'm pretty stuck on the other breeds I ordered.. so it's got to be one or the other and from what the pp said about them not always being so friendly the wyandotte might not be for me... are bantam sussex something you can get in the US? That might be another alternative....

5. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    One of the juicer chickens I had (I traded a juicer for some barnyard chickens, LOL) I think was bantam and part sussex. She was beautiful but kind of flighty compared to everyone else. I don't know what she would have been like had I kept her longer. She was one of my favorites though.

The cochins are really wonderful and beautiful. I don't think you will regret getting one.

As for flying chihuahuas, what a nightmare, LOL. They are already pretty obnoxious sometimes. Just imagine if they could fly up and bark in your face, or pee on the ceiling LOL.

6. egglicious

May 7, 2011
    I'm just so indecisive with this chicken thing it's crazy. Right now I am also considering not getting an americauna because I have read they are flighty, plus it's a bantam so probably even more flighty... thinking maybe a Plymouth Rock bantam. Know anything about those guys??

7. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    what kind of Plymouth Rock bantams? depends on what type you are thinking of getting....

8. egglicious

May 7, 2011
    I was thinking white Plymouth rock but will take suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by