1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Cochin over OE hen - Egg color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jennuhw, May 10, 2016.

1. jennuhw

jennuhw New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    I bought an Olive egger, and she was breed by a bantam Cochin. What color would their offspring lay? I have heard olive and blue. Thanks!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Potentially brown or a light green, depending on how many copies of the blue egg gene she has. Is she a first gen OE?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

The classic recipe for an Olive egger is a dark brown egg layer breed x a blue egg layer breed. If that's the case here, her pullet offspring would lay anything from a light brown to shades of green to a light aqua-ish color.

4. jennuhw

jennuhw New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    She is an F1 hen. I am not sure how she came about. I hope to keep some of their offspring and selling the others. I wasn't sure how to advertise if at all the egg color. Thanks!

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

If she's F1, she'll carry just one copy of the blue egg gene. She will produce 50% green egg layers of varying shades and 50% brown egg layers of various shades.

6. jennuhw

jennuhw New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Thank you very much!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Advertise them as a surprise [​IMG]

8. jennuhw

jennuhw New Egg