Bantam Cochin Quality?

skysky43

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
Show Low, Arizona
I have a bantam Cochin Rooster (Blue) and wanted some opinions on him so that I could see what he lacks. Thank you in advance!

Pet nearing breeder quality. Needs to have a fuller rounded tail. Color is a little dark for a blue, and looks like some red leakage in his feathers. Overall he is a very nice bird. He could even be shown on the local level and most likely do well. If you are using him for breeding blues. I would find some slightly light blue hens and see if the offspring lightens up.

Breeder nearing show quality. With the exception to many points in his comb. APA standard calls for 5 points. And little more speckling and he'd be awesome.

Actually looking at the new pics of the blue rooster, he has a lot of red leakage. He'd be great for a chocolate project though. But I wouldn't use him to breed blues.

Thank you so much! Ill post some better pictures of the Mille later this evening. Do you know where to get a pair of SQ Blue Cochins? Ive looked everywhere locally. So I think I will have to get a pair shipped to me.

I'll keep an ear open for some blues. That millie is just outstanding bird! I raised millies for several years and just recently sold out. And I sold several birds that went on to place in shows. And that boy is just as nice and the boys I used for breeding. The trick with millie though is they don't yet breed true. You'll have to raise several chicks to get good millies. For instance I had one pair that threw a lot of calicos, and one pair the threw a lot of buff mottles. Millies are one of the hardest colors to work with, but also the most beautiful in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom