Bantam Cochin question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jacklynn, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

At what age do Bantam Cochins start to hget that big, full look ? Do they go through teenage stages, where they look gangly and weird ? If so, what age does this happen?

Thanks!

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I would say probably 6-8 months of age you can really tell a good cochin from a bad one. I believe this is the age you should start seeing the difference in them.

3. Jacklynn

Alright thanks [​IMG] My girls don't have the Cochin type, they are 3 months, so could I assume it's ganglie stage? They come from nice parents. :O

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    yeah I would wait for a while to see. It's like try to evaluate an Ameraucana without a beard or muffs. its hard to get the full picture. So I say sit tight, and post pics of them when they are about 6-7 months.

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    On my better quality chicks I can see the round ball shape when they are about 4 weeks old. At 6 weeks they will be stunning and continue to improve. The boys are more likely to go through gangly stages than my girls. However, if anyone shows "leg" I cull right then. I want to see feathers and a round shape like a basketball the entire time they are growing. The boys just may look leaner through the body at 3 months.
    This one is 3 months and still too lean for my tastes. She needs more roundness to her but she is a project bird so I can let that pass for now in order to improve the pattern.
    [​IMG]

This is 6 weeks and I am not thrilled with the shape at all.
    [​IMG]

This is 6 months and I was very skeptical of him as a youngster.
    [​IMG]

This is a 4 month old roo. He was always fabulous and matured great. This is what I like to see on my boys and girls should be better than this as far as shape.
    [​IMG]

This girl was shaped like this from 2 months on up. I like to see this on my birds.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps you with what you are seeing on yours.

6. Jacklynn

Wow Nadine some of those are really nice birds ! Mine are failing majorly. I'll hang onto them though to see how they turn out !

Thanks everyone !

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Well, of course! Cochins are sweet by nature and no matter how they look, they are still great. I was just trying to give you an idea about what some could look like at certain ages.

Don't ever give up on them. They are the best![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by