Bantam Cochin Rooster

Brookiejo

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2016
My bantam chocin rooster Chewbacca was sweet as can be but now he thinks he is all of that and a bag of chips he runs and jumps on you with his feet but since he has feathers on his feet he can't do much he has one bantam chocin hen and a bantam wyandotte hen
with him, but he got better two days ago and then he kinda started up again. I have seen most people say they aren't going to get any better or turn them into soup. Honestly I cant see myself giving him a new home I'm scared someone might abuse him etc. I was wondering if it's because he needs more hens or what.

Last edited:
I like your description of this rooster! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like a little cockerel just coming into his hormones. He's around six months old, right?

He follows a pattern of being a sweet, friendly little chick, and then he gets full size or nearly so, and he goes through a personality change, like Jeckle and Hyde.

It's normal. But there are things you can do to discipline his behavior. He needs to know it's not acceptable to attack you, so you grab him and hold him when he comes at you. Don't release him as long as he kicks and struggles. Put him down after he relaxes and submits.

The important thing is to restrain him each time he attacks you. You can simply push him down like a pancake until he relaxes. But don't hurt him. This is discipline, not punishment.

He's smart. He'll get the message quicker than you think.

Getting more hens for him isn't a bad idea, but without you disciplining him, he won't change.

Get more hens...I disagree with going into combat with a Rooster...They will always win. A Rooster has two main purposes in a flock, breeding and protecting the hens with his life. If you attack him his aggression will be twice as bad. No need to fight him but do not ever turn your back to him. Keep him a six foot distance from you. If he gets into your space chase him away. If you really do not need a Rooster get rid of him. He is young and only doing what comes natural to a Roo....

One big thing I have noticed that helps alot. When you enter the coop if he is just sitting there and staring at you stare right back and don't move until he does. I would make sure you have around 10 hens and I don't see the issue with putting a rooster in his place. Mine was very stand offish until i put him in his place a few times and now he ignores me.

One big thing I have noticed that helps alot. When you enter the coop if he is just sitting there and staring at you stare right back and don't move until he does. I would make sure you have around 10 hens and I don't see the issue with putting a rooster in his place. Mine was very stand offish until i put him in his place a few times and now he ignores me.
The issue is, if you wait for him to move first he has already won. Sure, put him in his place by chasing him off...Have you ever fought off a Rooster in full attack mode?? I have and it sure is not a fun or fair fight. Roosters are and can be very dangerous if living in the wrong home with inexperienced people....A Rooster wont let up till he thinks he has won...Hence the Cock fights people used to have....?

Listen to Azygous. She speaks good husbandry and common sense. It's all about dominance. 'Fighting' him only spurs (pun intended) his instinct to fight back. Subordinating him tells him that you are the BOSS and not to be messed with. Holding firmly to the ground, carrying around in a short handled fishing net - anything to show him that he is not in charge. All of this may not work, and such a rooster must never be trusted around children.

I have raised and kept many cochin bantam roosters. All have been respectful and friendly except one. He turned into Satan and never quit trying to remove me, so I had him removed after trying everything with him.

Cochin bantams are a breed that can take a bit more handling than other breeds but it's best not to do too much with any rooster. I do agree with trying some discipline, as sometimes they are just trying it out on you. If you correct it early, it could stop, but if he's serious he won't stop no matter what.

I wouldn't rehomed him, I would cull him. Too many nice roosters being culled as it is, don't keep a bad one around. I currently have 8 bantam cochins roosters, they are my favorite breed.

I've had nine roosters during the nine years I've been keeping chickens, and each has been different. Every one of them required some bit of discipline to correct bad behavior, that is until my most recent one, a Cream Legbar who has been perfectly well behaved. So far he's required no discipline at all.

All my roosters responded to discipline and eventually learned their role and accepted mine, and required no further discipline. For the record, discipline involves no pain and trauma. It is distinct from punishment or fighting with your rooster. These latter only confuse the rooster and make matters much worse.

After eight roosters, I have arrived at the conclusion that a male chick can be handled and enjoyed right up until the moment he gets his hormones and suddenly lets you know that he no longer wishes to be handled. At that moment, it's best to take a strict hands off approach and ignore him from then on. This isn't to say that he may not need handling once in a while, for example, to treat him for injuries or parasites.

A good rooster understands both his role as flock protector and my role as flock leader, and he's comfortable with both. He will carefully ease himself out of my way when I approach him but isn't skittish about it. He acts as a partner rather than a competitor when he's near me, but he always defers to me and doesn't get upset when I'm handling the hens.

There are folks here on these forums with far more experience with roosters than me, but having a rooster that behaves shouldn't be a huge project for anyone. If a cockerel doesn't respond to discipline, cull or re-home him. Keeping chickens should be fun, and fighting with a rooster is anything but. It has no place in flock management.

I've had nine roosters during the nine years I've been keeping chickens, and each has been different. Every one of them required some bit of discipline to correct bad behavior, that is until my most recent one, a Cream Legbar who has been perfectly well behaved. So far he's required no discipline at all.

All my roosters responded to discipline and eventually learned their role and accepted mine, and required no further discipline. For the record, discipline involves no pain and trauma. It is distinct from punishment or fighting with your rooster. These latter only confuse the rooster and make matters much worse.

After eight roosters, I have arrived at the conclusion that a male chick can be handled and enjoyed right up until the moment he gets his hormones and suddenly lets you know that he no longer wishes to be handled. At that moment, it's best to take a strict hands off approach and ignore him from then on. This isn't to say that he may not need handling once in a while, for example, to treat him for injuries or parasites.

A good rooster understands both his role as flock protector and my role as flock leader, and he's comfortable with both. He will carefully ease himself out of my way when I approach him but isn't skittish about it. He acts as a partner rather than a competitor when he's near me, but he always defers to me and doesn't get upset when I'm handling the hens.

There are folks here on these forums with far more experience with roosters than me, but having a rooster that behaves shouldn't be a huge project for anyone. If a cockerel doesn't respond to discipline, cull or re-home him. Keeping chickens should be fun, and fighting with a rooster is anything but. It has no place in flock management.
I agree 100 %.

I would not give up on him. I have a black bantam cochin rooster named Poppy and he gets along with my other two bigger roosters and there is peace in the flock. Just like Carol said, when they just come into their hormones they need a little attitude adjustment.

This is the way I do it. I keep a broom in the coop. I show the little hotshot the broom. Let me REPEAT this, I just SHOW it to him, I NEVER hit him with it. Just hold it up by you. They are smart, they get the hint, better not mess with her.
smack.gif
Its worth a try, you might have to do it a couple of times.
Good luck
Marie

Back
Top Bottom