Bantam Cochin - Tips on keeping clean??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by isaacsmommy104, May 9, 2011.

1. isaacsmommy104

isaacsmommy104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    Hello everyone.
    I am having a hard time figuring out how to keep my cochins rears clean of poo. Is this just a fact of life with Cochins? Their feathered feet aren't bad at all. It's just the rears. There is always poo stuck on and I don't want to clip it all off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I would love to hear some different opinions on flooring for cochins (ie: wire, shavings, straw, etc.). Any tips on keeping these birds would help a lot. I am okay with my OEGB and our few Seramas, however, we are struggling with our "fluffy butts" and those are the ones my 2 year old daughter LOVES to hold.

Thanks again.

Tracy

2. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Never had much of a problem unless they get wormy and have runny poo. If they are on the ground they can contract worms easilly.

3. isaacsmommy104

isaacsmommy104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    They have all been dewormed and checked for worms thru fecal floats and direct smears. Always negative.

4. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    I keep all my cochins on pine shavings and try to keep them on a diet of gamebird crumbles and a bit of cracked corn

I've noticed if I give them "people food", they tend to get runny poops.

Of course, before a show, my birds get a bath, which is an easy way to clean them up and check for any other problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by