Bantam/Cochin

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmclemo, Oct 1, 2013.

1. cmclemo

cmclemo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Texas
    I have just started with chickens. I have six. Two red sex-links, two buff orpingtons, one langshan, and the bantam/cochin. The buffs were the first two for about three months. I bought the rest all from on supplier. The buffs and the sexlinks all pick on the bantam. Should I put her in an area by herself until she is bigger. She laid her first egg and it was very very soft.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As long as there is no blood, and the Cochin can eat and drink, I'd leave her in with them. She'll be happier in with them than she would be alone, even if she gets picked on. There will always be a chicken lowest in the pecking order, so even if you remove her, another bird could get picked on just as much. Just make sure that they don't seriously injure her or prevent her from getting the food and water.

What feed are you giving them? Soft shelled eggs are often caused by insufficient calcium, or when a pullet has just started laying and her system isn't quite used to the whole egg laying process yet. Laying birds should have layer feed, or access to crushed egg shell or oyster shell.

3. cmclemo

cmclemo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks so much! The mafia as we call the girls do run her off cfom food and water so we have a "bread and breakfast coop just for Hobbs.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by