Bantam cochins are laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrsChickendad, Mar 4, 2009.

1. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Our nine "little girls" are pumping out the eggs like Willy Wonka's factory. We are getting 7-8 eggs a day from them. I weighed up a dozen of them yesterday and they were 21 oz per dozen, somewhere between small and medium. I thought that was pretty good for bantam cochins. Who said cochins don't lay well???

The "big girls" are laying whoppers. All 7 lay a bigger than jumbo egg a day. A dozen of them weigh about 33 ounces. 30 ounces is considered jumbo size, so they are definitely paying the rent![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I have some standard size Brahma eggs in the incubator right now. Can't wait to get them hatched & laying themselves. My husband says our little bantams are just not cutting it! At the rate they're going a dozen eggs probably costs me $12.00. Even so I still have to buy store-bought.

3. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Ooh, we had some Brahmas many years ago when the kids were in 4-H. I really like them. Good luck with your hatch! We have more bantams hatching tonight. It was supposed to be a fertility test, but we got carried away and just couldn't throw them out. Have one cute little blue chickie hatched already.

I've been really happy with the way they are laying lately. I just use 3 bantam eggs for 2 large eggs in cooking. My grandkids like the little bitty eggs fried up for breakfast when they visit. And the bantam eggs make really cute deviled eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by