bantam cochins... breeding barred to black?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by evonne, Dec 27, 2009.

1. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i just got a barred roo, i have 2 black pullets i was thinking of putting him with...
    what can i expect to get out of those eggs?? color wise... i know they'll be chickens.. lol...
    unless the peacocks or the ducks sneak in there...

but anyways.....

thoughts??

also, what type of coloring mess would i get if i put him with my red??

or if i put the red frazzled roo with the blacks??

i'll probly leave the reds together, and put the blacks with the barred, makes the most sense, but there's a frazzle in both pens, and if mixing the colors would give some fun frizzles, that's always a possability too

2. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I would only stick with barred over black this should give you 50/50 if I remember correctly. It will darken the barred too! crossing black to red will mess you up this adds the dun gene to the black which is vertually impossible to get rid of. You will get black with red hackles and/or saddle feathers!

3. cochinman2005

cochinman2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Virginia
    Barred Male X Black Female (assuming the male is pure for barring) will yield 100% Barred offspring in the f1 generation. Males will tend to be a bit darker, and the females will exhibit muddy barring. In Cochins it's difficult to get crisp barring, especially in the females. Breeding the f1 females back to the sire would improve barring, and then select the best for type and color and go from there. f1's could be bred together as well, but would recommend f1 half brother/sister mating as opposed to full brother/sister since you have more than one black female that you could breed the Barred male to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by