Bantam Cochins...Edible?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by usschicago1, Jul 5, 2010.

1. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Hello,
    Ive done alot of hatching this year, and will have a few extra cochin cockerals that i usually sell to the Portuguese people that like to eat them. I was thinking i would try to eat them this year as a learning experience. Would two bantam cockerals fill up me and my farther ( the only people that would eat them ), meaning is there even any meet on them, there very light even the adults ? And what age would this take place, im closing in on six weeks and i want some time to prepare.

Thanks!

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Certainly bantams are edible. Some folks will even eat silkies, which have dark-colored bones & meat. But all the other breeds just look & taste like chicken. Keep in mind that your bantams, like all other standard breeds, will not be as meaty nor have the oversized breasts that the commercial chickens have. Those are a hybrid designed to grow quickly & have extra white meat. The others have about a 50-50 amount of white/dark meat, and overall have less meat on their frames.

But even the bantams are worth processing for their meat, you may get around 1 pound of meat off the bones. You may find their frames too small to place you hand into for cleaning, you may have to cut the bird in half and scoop everything out that way. You could roast them whole, like Cornish Game Hens, or simmer their meat off their bones.

I let my standard and my bantam roos grow to about 20 weeks before processing. Enjoy!

3. ilovemuscovy

ilovemuscovy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    yes of course they are edible
    in my opinion they are actually more flavorful
    and if you make some stock with their necks and feet... mmmmm

4. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    We processed 45 extra seramas this year and used a tablespoon to remove the innards. Most were less than 7 ounces dressed but when stuffed with herbs and slow baked each made a nice serving for one.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    People eat quail, so why not bantams?

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Thanks Everyone! My Mind is Made up, ill be processing them when there of age. Witch is 2-3 months right?

7. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    Quote:Thats what I plan on doing! We currently have four silkie chicks, what look like two white and two buff. if any are male, and if they aren't showing to be of good qualiity (bad grammre, not caring!) then into the oven they go! I'm looking forward to serving "black" chicken [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by