Bantam Cochins Pecking me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marie_martin, Jun 7, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have noticed that although the bantam cochins I have (6 weeks and 8 weeks) are very sweet most of the time, if I reach into a hole to get them or in the dark of the coop, they will peck me pretty hard. My DD said the one I gave her does the same. Anyone have experience with this. I have silkies and serama and cochins and faverolles and the cochins so far are the only ones that do this. (unless it is a broody on eggs of course) What makes these babies so defensive?

Marie

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    not to be contrary, but bantam cochin can not peck real hard. [​IMG] It's just their way of trying to be independent chickens......

3. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I beg to differ, my DD's cochin brought blood. Of course he caught her between her fingers. But still. Mine have not pecked that hard but pretty hard. But I am not afraid of them. I don't mean that.

Compared to my silkies, they peck hard, how is that/??

Marie

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Wow, cochin brought blood.... I stand CORRECTED. Glad I never had your strain. Mine were always too lazy to peck that hard, way more exertion than they wanted.

5. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Mine never peck unless they are broody. Even when I reach under them to get eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by