Bantam Cochins? Pullets? Roos? Need some help here :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KLRakes, Mar 12, 2015.

1. KLRakes

KLRakes New Egg

Jul 7, 2014
    Hello there! I just received three birds advertised as "bantam cochin pullets," but now that they have arrived (dropped off by seller's husband), I am not quite sure exactly what I have. They are supposed to be around 12 weeks old. I'd love your help determining whether or not they actually are pullets (at least one is giving me serious doubts)-- if I have roos I might need to get back in touch with the seller for an exchange or trade.

Bird 1 (might be a bantam cochin mix? Definitely having doubts about this one being a pullet. I heard him/her making "crowing" noises several times this afternoon):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird 2 (I haven't heard any roo noises from this one yet, but s/he seems to like to "play fight" with the others):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird 3 (this one also "crowed" once this afternoon...):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would hate to think I received three roos from a seller who advertised pullets... especially with them being 12 weeks old at the time of purchase. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

2. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    Ok the only one that looks to be even part Cochin is the 2nd bird. And birds 1&2 look to be Roos, #3 is questionable...but I am on a phone and the pics don't show up real clear on it lol. Don't you just hate how deceitful people are nowadays? If it were me I'd return the birds and get my money back, you did NOT get what you paid for!!! :/

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first one looks like a Millie Fleur D'Uccle mix. The second and third are likely Cochin mixes (second may be a red Cochin mix, third may be a black Cochin mix). Birds #2 and #3 look like definite males, and I'm pretty sure that #1 is a cockerel, too.

4. KLRakes

KLRakes New Egg

Jul 7, 2014
    Thanks for the input! After looking through many different sexing threads, I checked on their hackle and saddle feathers, and they definitely look rather pointy on all three birds! Their combs also seem rather red and large for their age. It looks like I have three males after all. I have contacted the seller and thankfully she is willing to do a swap. [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by