Bantam Cochins stopped laying

azfordby4

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I have 2 bantam cochins they are the about 9 months old. They have been steady layers for a while now and all of a sudden they stopped laying. One of them turned aggressive and was showing signs of broodiness. The same one also is loosing feathers. I have a leghorn that is a little over a year and she is still laying just fine. I live in the phoenix area and the days are still in the upper 80's. What could be going on with my cochins?

I can't tell you for sure,
idunno.gif
but used to have bantie cochins as well and they would lay pretty well for most of thier first year like yours, then they would either stop all together or lay maybe one egg every two to six months after that. I don't know why this was, but I know I've experienced the same thing you're talking about. They would even on rare occasion go broody and sit on other chickens eggs like yours as well. If anyone has a good suggestion for this I would also be curious to know what happend, as well. I do know cochin's (banties that is) are more of an ornamental breed any way, maybe that has something to do with it.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom