1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Cochins stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azfordby4, Nov 6, 2010.

1. azfordby4

azfordby4 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    I have 2 bantam cochins they are the about 9 months old. They have been steady layers for a while now and all of a sudden they stopped laying. One of them turned aggressive and was showing signs of broodiness. The same one also is loosing feathers. I have a leghorn that is a little over a year and she is still laying just fine. I live in the phoenix area and the days are still in the upper 80's. What could be going on with my cochins?

2. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Anything???

3. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    ?????

4. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    I can't tell you for sure, [​IMG] but used to have bantie cochins as well and they would lay pretty well for most of thier first year like yours, then they would either stop all together or lay maybe one egg every two to six months after that. I don't know why this was, but I know I've experienced the same thing you're talking about. They would even on rare occasion go broody and sit on other chickens eggs like yours as well. If anyone has a good suggestion for this I would also be curious to know what happend, as well. I do know cochin's (banties that is) are more of an ornamental breed any way, maybe that has something to do with it. [​IMG]

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    sounds like maybe they are molting, they will stop laying during a molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by