bantam cochins.......unpure colours?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by spish, Feb 9, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have recently began with cochin bantams and currently have 4 couples - 3 buff and 1 black.

now buff couple one looks fab - just buff no other colour visable.
    buff couple 2 hen is perfect but the roo has a few black feathers in his tail?
    buff couple 3, roo is nice but darker buff than the other two, hen is very light buff coloured;

now the black couple. hen is pure black, gorgeous! but the roo has orange/red streaks round his neck? i queried the seller over him asking what his parents were (thinking one was black the other buff?) but no his parents were a black hen with a silver roo??

so is it normal to get a few black tail feathers in a buff roo or is this a breeding fault? and what am i likely to get from the black couple...black chicks...black and orange...or black? silver? argh i dont know!

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    would it help if i got some pics?

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    It is not uncommon to have black feathers show up in the tail of a buff. but since you have a buff roo without black in the tail I would move the hen in with him and re home the buff with black. assumeing the other buff does not have any major faults.

your black roo has either gold or silver leakage in the hackles which is a major fault. you should be able to find an all black roo to replace him without too much trouble.

Now if you are just wanting to breed for pets and fun you can keep what you have if you want to show switch out some roos.

Pics would be great

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't really help you but you can look for a thread on here about breeding buff leghorns, it had some great advice about black in the tail and who to breed to who and how to deal with the smuttiness.

I'd just say get rid of the black if he has leakage. Pure black cochin roos shouldn't be too hard to find?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by