1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Cochins... Worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jmurcks, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I have way too many bantam cochin roosters and despite my best efforts to find them homes they are still here. My hubby wants to try eating them but being so small would it really be worth the effort? I've never tried my hand at this before and I am afraid since they are smaller I may have more trouble than it is worth. Anyone else using bantams as meat birds? Thanks!

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I don't think it would be to much trouble. I've cleaned lots of wild doves and quail and thought it well worth the effort.

It's wasteful but a lot of people just take the breast off game birds, particularly the smallest ones like doves.

3. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    I'm glad you asked this question I was wondering the same thing.

4. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    I wouldn't bother plucking them, I would just skin them, then make sure you freeze them in airtight bags. [​IMG] It has worked well for us since we NEVER eat the skin anyway.

5. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Would being so small be too much of a learning curve being the first ones we have ever done?
    I think we may try and see... I could always say it is diet chicken (smaller portions) [​IMG]

6. foxhomechickens

foxhomechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    There shouldnt be any problem as long as they are not too old

7. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    How old is too old? These are anywhere from 4 months to one year...
    Thanks!

8. foxhomechickens

foxhomechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Oh no real trouble just not as many cooking options. I was a little tired when i made that earlier post. Sorry.

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I picked up a group of banty/silkie/who knows what mixes, and skinned them all out. Put them in a crockpot all together, and ended up making a bunch of broth which I froze in 2 cup portions, also shredded and bagged the meat for future use. Made a big pot of chicken noodle soup out of two of them, and it was delish!!

I found processing them was even easier than doing standard sized chickens, since they are smaller and easier to manipulate.

10. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    That is great to hear! We will probably be doing that real soon!
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by