1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantam cochins x sizzlesPIX!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelliepulido, Dec 18, 2010.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I have some really nice little barred silky bantam cochins they look like pullets about 3m old,and then some black sizzles that are roos also about 3m old what would these have and would they be listed as cochins,also have lavender sizzles that look like pullets

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    any thoughts anybody?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not sure exactly what you are asking? Do you have photos?

4. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    eggs from the crossing what do you call them and would they be pure since both are cochin in appearance really since a sizzle is a silkie/cochin.The black roos are sizzles I think they have some normal feathers and some are frizzled feathers the pullets are silkied cochin barrs so what would the colors of the offspring and what would you call them?OR just list them as crosses?I will work on some pix they are still young 3m but looking nice..

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    They would be Sizzles, Frizzles or smooth feathered of one or the other but definitely not pure Cochin. You can't get that back after breeding those genes together. The smooth feathered may or may not have that top hat but they also will probably have those toes and skin of a Silkie.

Sell chicks as a Silchin (smooth feathered) or Frizzle (curled feathers no top hat) or Sizzle (curled feathers with a top hat).

6. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    wow the top hat is the distinguishing factor between the frizzle vs the sizzle.They should be very cute!!I know the toes as well but the top hat is most visible

7. Hi! I'd just call them Cochin x Silkie crosses or Frizzled Cochin x Silkie crosses.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

8. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Lisa those babies of yours that I have are the cutest little seramas.They did get to size d hens about 18oz and roos 21oz but they are sooo cute.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Actually, you can breed back to cochin, but it may take a few generations to more or less completely weed out the sizzle characteristics.

A sizzle has all the features of a silkie EXCEPT for feathering. It should NOT be silkie, and it SHOULD be frizzled (although smooth , not-silkie feathered birds are also needed to keep sizzles going.

10. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    ok pix coming they are I think 3m maybe 3.5 and just soo cute.All the cochins are silkied.THe others are the frizzle sizzles[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by