bantam columbian wyandotte wont leave the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jstinsmommy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jstinsmommy

jstinsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    I have a bantam columbian wyandotte that used to be very social with the others in our flock. The last week she just sits in the nesting box all day and all night. i am sure she comes out during the day to eat, but we are at work so i have not actually witnessed her eating. My son has gone out there and physically taken her out and put her in the yard and she only stays for just a few minutes then heads right back into the coop. I have 2 bantams and i get one egg a day but not sure from which one. Then today she was sitting on a regular size egg, not the bantam egg. Is this what is known as "broody"? i just get worried that she isnt getting any exercise or anything. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds broody to me. :)

3. jstinsmommy

Dec 13, 2012
    we dont have a rooster, so I collect the eggs everyday. Will this last or should i try to break her of it?

4. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    It depends how determined she is. Sometimes you just have to remove them from the nest box a few times and they will stop. Take her off and offer a treat, it works with some.

5. jstinsmommy

Dec 13, 2012
    Thanks you so very much for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by