1. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a 400 Sq ft chicken run/ coop. My daughter just joined 4H so we are getting bantam for showmanship and breeding. Which means a new coop. How high off the ground should the roosts be?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My Belgian d'Uccle bantams fly to the 4' roost, and then up to the rafters that are 8' high. Mary

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It does depend on breed, some can fly better than others, my cochins and frizzle cochins can't get up on things like my d'uccle can, I have a three step roost, 2x4 with the 2 up starting at about a foot and each one is a foot higher.

4. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

We plan on breeding buff brahma bantatms if we can find a show quality trio similar size to bantam chochins. We will also have a couple modern game birds for showmanship. I am currently using a ladder system that is 4ft tall for my LF chickens. So maybe I will make one 8 ft long with three rungs at 1ft, 2 ft, & 3 ft high for the bantam coop. Plan on having room for 30 bantams. How high off the ground should the nesting boxes be. I was thinking 1 ft off the ground.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine are two feet, they use the roost to get to them, I also have one on the floor that some use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by