1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Aquaholic

Aquaholic Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2017
    I have a bantam coop 16 sq ft run and 8 sq ft of coop. How many bantams can i comfortably keep?

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    8 square feet is not a lot of room to house chickens ideally it's said that chickens need 2 to 3 square feet per bird so you are looking at a maximum of 3 or 4 birds...

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    About 3, depending on breed. Some are bigger than others, but in my experience they all like a lot of room and are very active. Will you be free ranging them?

4. Aquaholic

Aquaholic Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. Aquaholic

Aquaholic Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2017
    I'm not planning to free range them. I just bought a trio of bantam wayandottes. The fellow had them off the ground.

6. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    that's the chicken coop and run?

7. Aquaholic

Aquaholic Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2017
    So far

8. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    are you planning on making the run bigger?

9. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    They should be ok. You only have 3 and bantam Wyandottes aren't as active as Old English games. I've read that bantams require half of the 4sq/10sq. ft. rule as a minimum but you can supervise them while they free range. You might want a place for each hen when they have chicks in case the rooster or other hen picks on them.

10. maribameche

maribameche Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    I have 2 old English game bantams, how much room in the run should they have? I bought a coop with run off eBay but it was a lot smaller than I expected.. here's a picture in comparison to my 1 year old ( she's about 32 inches tall [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by