Bantam Coops- Is my idea okay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SunnyCalifornia, Jan 3, 2011.

1. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I am in the coop planning stage, I need 3 coops:

#1: for a pair of OEG bantams
    #2: for a pair of (undecided breed, likely d'uccles or cochin) bantams
    #3: a temporary coop for any young'uns, sick, injured, exiled...
    or whatever purpose comes about.

I have a limited space, but not a lot of chickens, really. The bantams are for 4-H showing, and maybe some egg hatching projects, and I'd like to keep the breeds separate. However, I do want them all to have wonderful happy lives. They do get lots of hugs, love, and attention from my kids, and indoor diapers have already been prototyped. [​IMG]

Here is my thought...

I have a space that is 4' wide, 13' long, and I have a height clearance of about 7'. I am thinking of building a large coop 4'Wx12'lLx7'H, and dividing it into thirds, so that each section is 4'x4' length/width, and about 7' tall, with 4 sides screened, and a solid floor & roof. I am new at bantams, but I've read that they like to fly, and appreciate higher roosts, compared to my heavy standard breeds.

If I put an enclosed 2'x 3' sleeping/nesting quarters, in a corner, 18" off the ground, so they have the additional ground space is that enough room for 2 bantams to be happy? With their flying capabilities, I don't think I could let them free range in the yard. It would be too dangerous. I may add a large enclosed playpen at a later date, but right now these everyday coops are my priority! I have too many chickens living INSIDE the house right now! [​IMG]

I'm in the San Diego area, so severe cold is not an issue. Summer heat is, however, that is why I'm thinking the screened sided coops. I lost the sweetest BO hen during a freakishly hot day in September. [​IMG] We cried for weeks...She's buried under a cross on the hill. Why do the best hens always go first?

Thank you for your input, I tried to BOLD all the pertinant info between my ramblings...

Feathery Hugs,
    Chaili

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    As far as space is concerned, 16 square feet per bird should be plenty for 2 bantams. I would still want to build a run eventually because they will be happier being able to go out and do "chickeny" things. I'd have some real concerns about screened walls instead of solid walls. I don't see where that would give you a lot of protection from predators. Also, if the roosters can see each other, they will try and attack each other through the screens. At the very least, I would do solid walls on the bottom half and screen the top.

The only bantams I have experience with are silkies, but I can tell you that they definitely don't roost higher than my full-sized chickens. Honestly, my hen doesn't even go on my lowest roost. She either sleeps in a nest box or "roosts" on the board along the edge of the nest box. I would give them roosts at 18-24" off of the ground.

The breed of chicken will determine how flighty it is. My silkies aren't flighty at all.

3. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Fairy Godmarytr:

Thanks for the info about the roosters! I will keep that in mind, and perhaps separate them on the far ends. I do have conflicting thoughts about the screening, I will be giving that some extra consideration before we build.

4. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I suppose I could build three levels horizontally too, if that sounds like a better idea!

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    The size , i think is a good size for 2 bantams, but i agree , i would build them an outside run, they will be even happier. They love to roost high up.
    I would put there roost at 3 feet and another at 5 feet.

6. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i'm probably gonna get shunned by the BYC people here, but i hardly free range my birds... maybe once a day a different pair/trio... but the thing is that i have OEGB pairs and trios only... pretty soon i'll have some free range giant blue cochins...

anyways...

like i said i have OEGB's... i don't have pics or anything for them, but here's kind of what i have for them now...

NOT MY PICS!!!...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are my friend's chickens... he lets them out about once a day, but i have more birds than him... here's his lavender hen laying an egg... but it shows his cages a bit...

7. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Thank you Shay, Thank you Gumbii, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think I'll go ahead with my plan then , but get that bigger play pen built as soon as I can afterwards. [​IMG]

8. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Those are awsome breeding pens, i like those.

9. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:welcome... i really don't give my birds that much room, but they are happy... they also feel very safe and comfy in their little breeder pens... when i let them out an hour later they're back in their pens... LOL...

Quote:i like them too... i can't wait to build a huge wall of them inside my walk in coop... that's gonna be awesome...

10. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:welcome... i really don't give my birds that much room, but they are happy... they also feel very safe and comfy in their little breeder pens... when i let them out an hour later they're back in their pens... LOL...

Quote:i like them too... i can't wait to build a huge wall of them inside my walk in coop... that's gonna be awesome...

Right now mine are free rangers, when i let them out they go crazy flying everywhere , sooo cute.
    but hubby will be building a couple coops for them for breeding, and i told him i want them tall enough so they can roost good and have plenty of room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by