Bantam Crosses?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TexasChicken12, Nov 22, 2014.

1. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    I was thinking about getting a silkie and a Sebright chick this spring. If one of the two turned out to be a rooster and crossed with one of my large fowl hens (Buff Orpington, EE, Barred Rock, Red star). Would the babies be decent layers? Would their eggs be tiny? any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I don't know what the eggs would turn out like, IF one of these birds turned out to be a rooster and IF it was even able to mate with one of your standard birds. What I can tell you is that integrating these two birds into your flock of standard size birds may be very difficult. They could easily be badly attacked. Silkies look different and are usually quite docile and Sebrights are tiny things. I have two Sebrights in my own flock and they hold their own but they were all raised together. They have chosen not to roost in the coop with the bigger birds however because they tend to get bullied for roost space. You might be better off getting a few more and setting them up with their own coop/run.

3. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Ok! Thanks! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by